Dallas - Tucson, Arizona

Many people ask the question,” What is the meaning of life?” The problem with this question is that it is extremely loaded yet people require a simple answer. In their confusion they create false securities, ways to have an answer for the unanswerable. “Why are we here?” Supposedly God made us, made earth, and sometimes saves our lives. Yet as the years go on, I tend to realize God doesn’t mean much to me, if he means anything at all.

When I was in the fifth grade I wasn’t sure about God. I asked the question about the meaning of our existence as well. Everyone seemed to believe in him so I decided God was alright with me too. I lived my life going to school and doing what most young children did. I was alright with that.

One day during my physical education class, I found myself running on the track. Within the blink of an eye I was on the ground, my back side throbbing with a pain similar to battery acid running through your veins. I started to lean towards the idea of a dislocated leg but it seemed too painful to be that.

After I arrived home we noticed a black bug bite on my right gluteus maximus. We took me to the hospital only to be sent home 3 times with 102 degree fevers. The next day the infection had spread around my body and my fever was well over 103. The original bite was black with lightening shades of purple surrounding it in a bull’s-eye pattern. I was rushed into emergency and put on multiple fluids and vaccinations. The doctors diagnosed me as being bitten by a Brown Recluse. General Practitioners from multiple states were flying by helicopter just to see me and my state of being.

As expected, I was not healed by any miracles. 30 years ago I would have surely died. In fact, the only reason I lived was because of the doctors who worked on me and the medicine they used. No God ever helped me, nor do I expect him ever to acknowledge me. So when people ask me about the meaning of life, I have a very simple answer. The meaning of life is simply life itself. I believe we are here to live and make others lives more enjoyable. Science is our salvation and the chance to live is our reward.