Brittany - Boulder, Colorado

I believe in parking meter karma. I believe that when you put in more coins than you know you’re going to need or you put some change in for someone whose time is running out, that that a good deed. Some of us donate to charity and some of us donate our time but I believe that the tiniest good deeds make all the difference.

Sometimes these random acts of kindness can really make a person’s day. We’re all so caught up in the hustle and bustle of our own lives that sometimes we forget to consider others. When I walk past someone looking somber on the street, I don’t automatically think, “That person must have had a really tough day. I wonder why?” A lot of people don’t think of that way. But that person whose meter is about to run out, might be on the verge of suicide and a parking ticket could be the one thing that pushes them over the edge. When I put change in someone else’s meter, I like to think I’m saving lives. Even if I’m not, someday, that extra quarter is going to mean something to someone.

I like to think those small favors will add up. And when they do add up, I have faith that mankind will return the favor. Not only for me, but for others whose meters are about to run out. To me, these seemingly insignificant gestures can change the world. I believe that no good deed goes unnoticed, and that when a passer-by sees you performing these acts, he’ll feel compelled to do the same. Because I have faith in mankind and I have faith in the cycle that is karma. What I don’t believe is when people tell you that “life isn’t fair.” Life is what you make it and if you can make it a little better for someone else, why wouldn’t you? I believe in humanity’s kindness and I believe that parking meter karma its proof of that kindness.

Parking garages are a whole other story.