Scott - boulder, Colorado
Themes: sports

Its eight o’clock I just arrived home after a terrible day at work. As I enter through the door, I throw my bag to the ground and proceed to my desk. By instinct I pick up my hand wraps and move to the punching bag hanging from the wall. Images of my boss, and the way he yelled at me for being incompetent swim through my mind. Every one of his words resounds through in my head as I take the wrap around my wrist and encase each finger in it. My stance is solemn and calm, contrasting with the chaos in my mind. I fling out an arm and connect my knuckles to the bag. Left, Right, repeat, and persist. With every strike the echo of my boss’s voice grows fainter. I’m sweating now, my back is hot, and my brow is wet. Every drop of stress falls to the floor with the beads of sweat. My arms are heavy but my mind is clear. I’m in the perfect place where only my goal and I exist.

To me this goal is unleashing knuckle clad fury onto a punching bag. To some it’s running a football the last 30 yards to a touchdown. To others it’s watching a magnificent play unfold on the basketball court. There are even those who merely need a stretch of land or an empty running track at 3 in the morning. I know that sports take away a lot of stress, and help clear your mind. They have the power to bring joy into someone who is suffering mental strain. They are a key factor to a healthy soul, body, and mind. I believe this is why everyone needs to play a sport.