Dasha - Boulder, Colorado

Dasha Silva

Mr. Lewis

American Literature

23 October 2007

The Power of Family

I believe in the power of family. I was born into a family that didn’t have much, and that needed to work hard to get what they wanted. When I was born, my mom and dad were living illegally in an abandoned building in Manhattan. We had no running water, no heat, and the three of us slept on one dirty, twin size mattress. I am an only child, and I’m pretty sure this was the reason why – we were very poor. But my parents had an immense amount of love for each other and me, and we were happy.

When I was two years old, my dad decided that we needed to move. The city was preparing to tear down the building that we were living in, and we knew we’d be in trouble if we stayed. My dad, being from Brazil, is not the most intelligent of men, but he made the right decision. He knew that if the government saw a couple raising a child in an old building, living against the law, they would take me away from my parents. My mom had already owned the house that we live in now, so the three of us made the big move to Boulder, in hopes of starting a better life. Which we did. My parents both got good jobs, and were able to bring me up in a house with a backyard, which was exactly what they had dreamed of.

I had never really thought of this story as a very exciting one, but when I realized how important sticking together is, I gained a new outlook. My life would be so much different if we had stayed. I would probably be living in a foster home, and my parents would have been stuck in the same poor state. Through this new outlook, I came to a realization of how much I care for my family and their decisions. I learned that they will always look out for me, and do the right thing in the end. It is extremely common for kids to take advantage of their parents’ decisions. When my mom or dad would tell me ‘no’ to something, I know that I would usually start a fight, thinking that they “weren’t being fair.” I’ve come to see now that they are almost always right. I’m so fortunate to be living the life I have now, and I’m very glad that I will always have the power of family.