Jenna - Roanoke, Virginia

Unlike most 18 year old girls who may be awakened in the morning by a ring tone or alarm clock, my wake up call is a sweet, soft, “Ma ma.” My morning starts immediately after those words are uttered. Regardless of what time of morning it is or how much sleep I have gotten, I have to get up. Instead of taking my time in the shower, perfecting my hair in the mirror, and picking out the perfect outfit I have other responsibilities.

As I quietly get my oldest daughter out of her crib I’m hoping I will make it out of the room before my youngest baby wakes. I feed my eldest, Arianna, her usual breakfast; apple juice and cheerios. Then dress her, give her a hair-do, and tie her shoes. After her routine is complete, I get start mine. I rush to get dressed, brush my hair (if I have time), and put on my shoes. By this point the baby, Gianna, is crying for her bottle. I repeat this routine with her. Finally, they head off to daycare and I’m off to school.

After I weave in and out of traffic to make my 8:00 class I sit and think about everything I have to accomplish today. After my classes are over its already noon and I have three precious hours until all my attention goes back on my girls. I use this time to study, do some of the never ending laundry, and for the most part just relax, When they arrive home we start our evening routine then we’re off to bed. It’s hard not having any down time. It’s very difficult not getting much sleep and having your schedule dictated by children.

However, it’s all worth it. I believe parenthood can be one of the most rewarding challenges you can take on it your life. I come to school everyday for my girls. After graduating high school I realized the only way they can live comfortably in the future is if I further my education. I refuse to let my girls and I become a statistic because I am a teen mother. There are many stereotypes attached to being a teenage mom. High school drop-out, can only hold a medium wage job, lives in housing projects, dependent upon welfare, and so many others. I haven’t given into any of those things yet and I know I never will.

My little girls are my world. I love the drive, determination, motivation, compassion, and hope they give me. I don’t know that I would have the same dedication to my education if I didn’t have children. I believe the parties and long nights out with friends would’ve side-tracked me. Do I sometimes want to go out with my friends? Sure, sometimes, but I wouldn’t trade my life for anyone else’s.

For all these reasons, I believe in overcoming obstacles and looking towards a brighter future. Although being a mother in college is difficult, I know that one day I will be able to say, “I did it.” I want my life to have that Cinderella ending. I want to prove that no matter what you may have to overcome it’s still possible to attain your goals. Leave your skeletons in the closet, close the door and never look back. After you do that, you can get back on your track to a brighter future.