Danielle - Ardmore, Tennessee

X Marks the Spot

I believe that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. It’s an old axiom I’m sure you’ve heard of before, but why do so many ignore it’s potential? I see it as a form of recycling. Why fill the landfills with more furniture and odds and ends, when you can find someone who needs them?

As a formidable treasure collector, my mother and I have gone to yard sales all of my life. Yard sales are the melting pot of people who want to buy things at really low prices and a few mole people, who come up before winter(for winter clothes, of course). Some yard sales are full of junk, like worn out clothes, broken glass, dented picture frames, the list is endless. But, every now and then you hit the jackpot and find something you can’t live without. When we go to a yard sales my mom always asks me “Is anything yelling ‘Take me Home!’?” My Mom is all about the price, why pay a dollar when they might take fifty cents. I on the other hand, look for things that are cool and useful. For example, the desk I’m sitting at right now I bought for seven dollars. She originally wanted ten for it, but my mom haggled her to seven. It has a flat top large enough for my computer, file storage, a lamp, and a pile of books. It also has four drawers, which was whole lot cooler than my old desk that did not have any. One other cool thing I found was a poster in kinda cheap frame of the Lord of The Rings. No not the movie, the book poster. I thought it was awesome, everything is so detailed and the phrase “one ring. . .” is creatively hidden in an arch. It has a picture of Gandalf , Frodo, and Sam on a hill, which is enframed by the arch that has other charcters and places around it, including the elven sorceress. Plus, it only cost ten cents.

Finding treasure doesn’t have to be saving money on stuff at yard sales, it can be buying a used car, a house, or even adopting a pet from a pound. Everything is about balance, right now our world needs balance. Too much is being trown aside, including pets, when there are people and families who may be in need. Maybe it’s because I’m a born again bargain hunter, but see if you can find your own treasure, whether or not it’s from a yard sale.