Luis - Avon, Colorado
Themes: gratitude

This I Believe Essay

Many people declare police are bad people that they misuse the power given to them and are not good guys. Then there is me. I believe that as well as others, that police are friends that help you when you call them at an emergency. Many things have happened to me that have led me to believe this.

One example is last year when my dad fell sound asleep for a mere second. The truck a 1993 GMC Sierra ended up being rammed up head on against the highway road fence guard thing. That night I learned two thins. One that if you fall asleep on the road while driving you can count on a police man to be close by and take you to a hotel after he gives you a ticket. And two that when you barely wake up when you are heading towards a small cliff at 80 miles per hour it can be a scary thing to get out of your head. During this first example I discovered that that experience had changed my overall perspective of policemen in a good way. Now my perspective is that cops are friends that show up only when most needed or when called up. Then my perspective of cops being friends grew even stronger since the second example.

The second and final example is that one day I was in Mexico a cop pulled me over because my truck was over loaded. So then the cop got out of his truck and told me that I could either give him 200 pesos and he would let it slide by or go to the offices and get a harsher punishment. So of course I gave him 200 pesos because that day I did not have my license with me. These experiences have led me to believe that police men are good guys. Although the police man in Mexico made up a false charge to get money for himself he gave me the option of not going to the offices. My belief has grown in the way that I now believe that police men are good friends that are there to help you in an accident or keep you from trouble with the police offices.