Amanda - Goshen, Indiana
Themes: pleasure

I believe in happiness. I believe that it is possible for every person to find happiness in their lives. Happiness is a choice that every person needs to decide for themselves on a day to day basis. Although it can be guaranteed that every day will not be the best day of your life, you can still make the best of every situation that you are placed in. This will enable you to learn, grow and eventually find some sort of happiness through that experience.

How is it that we define happiness in our lives? Is it by the amount of A’s we get on our papers, what place we got in our last athletic competition, how much money we make at our jobs? I think that a person can find happiness in any of these things but the most special to me are the people who can find happiness in the little things. The people who can experience happiness on a daily or even hourly basis through the changing colors of a leaf, a kind word from a friend, or the smile of a stranger. Happiness can be found in the achievements of your life but true happiness is found when the smallest things can make you smile.

I also believe that making another person happy is one of the greatest joys in life. Although the goal is to make the other person happy, a subsequent result of this action is finding happiness for yourself. My main way of spreading happiness throughout the world is through the power of a smile.

We all make choices when we are deciding on which friendships are worthwhile to pursue. One of the qualities I look for is a person with a positive attitude. The attitudes that your friends have will also rub off on you so I want to be around people who will be uplifting and provide a positive outlook on life. I was talking to a friend the other day about this speech and what I was writing about. We were discussing how we don’t like to be around people with negative attitudes because that also causes us to be in a bad mood. And one thing that she said to me was that she really appreciated my positive attitude. She likes how I can have an optimistic outlook on most things in life and I strive to make other people’s days also better by displaying the joy that I have for life.

Optimism rather than pessimism, a smile rather than a frown, and choosing happiness rather than sadness or anger every day. Happiness, this is what I believe.