bobbie - hyde park, Utah

BEING NOT SURE– I have come to believe that a better way to live life is from a stance of not being sure about much of anything. Living between the Viet Nam and Iraq Wars, I have seen pretty much everything I thought I believed in fall apart. I don’t believe in war, I don’t believe in torturing any living being, I try not to kill, I try to be kind. I don’t understand this world. I have felt confused and sad to witness yet another war. When I started reading the works of Thich Nhat Hanh, I finally found a way out of this sadness and into another way of meeting this world. My life was changed by going along to Viet Nam with this peaceful, brilliant monk who is trying to teach us another way to live. He asks us to not be so sure, to approach life with an open and soft mind. I still hold the same values of kindness, not killing, loving this earth we live on, living simply and most of all humility. When I look at our world leaders in 2007, the overall problem is the lack of humility, the sureness, and even arrogance. The approach of many leaders leaves us rigid, unbending, and closed. We especially don’t listen deeply. I cannot change a lot of the big things happening in this world in the year 2007. What I can do is live my life with an open, soft, humble mind. I can listen deeply to even those whom I may disagree with and find common ground. Even if we humans have been unable to live on this planet with peace and nondestruction to the point that we may self destruct, I accept that too. With my last breath, I will keep trying to help, offer love, and say that I am not sure. Therefore I stay open to all possibilities. I am no longer as afraid.