Amanda - Houston, Texas

I believe in a certain something called being Fierce, drawing inspiration from Oscar Wilde’s Aestheticism, splashing it with a drag queen’s glitter. It’s not just beauty, and it’s certainly no Grecian or classical beauty. It’s a combination of attitude and presentation. It’s the formation of a complete idea in imagery, so that when you walk out the door, the satisfaction you feel is projected through the swing in your hips. It doesn’t matter how look naturally, because no one’s looking at that, they’re distracted by your intensity and that bitch-red lipstick. And most importantly, you are NOT hiding. This is not a mask, this is you. There is no shame – that’s the point – you’re prancing around so exceptionally perfect, so above-and-beyond the call of duty, that you are entirely shameless – you are Fierce.

For me, being Fierce is the perfect pair of shoes. I know it’s overdone, but there’s just nothing like that drool-worthy curve of the heel matched with a perfectly shaped toe. I often dress from the shoes up, finding outfits just so I can showcase my shoes. That doesn’t mean I can’t also find immense satisfaction in applying divine lips, making that liner work for me and that red just shimmer in matte perfection, or appreciate the bliss when my hair is that glorious, angelic platinum blonde. Hold up a moment though, let’s be honest, I’m a big girl, but I’d like to see you challenge me about owning it. As recent as a few years ago, I would not have been able to explain to you how anyone could find confidence as a big girl, but now I’m not sure why my sisters in size haven’t picked up on the same secret. It’s all about how you work it.

In the end, it’s about taking your look and owning it. I admire any explanation for a style, even if I disagree with the logic. If you’re all about letting your hair hang limp in your face and baggy, plaid flannel, then there better be an explanation for what I’d happily call a complete disaster, but girl, if you can work it, then I’m nothing but proud of you. There’s nothing more painful than seeing a deflated gait and slumped shoulders, when I know everyone can step up their game and be one, hot chick. The queens have got it all figured out – they know that even a big, burly man can be waxed, painted and swathed into a beautiful woman who can strut their stuff better than most biological females. It’s about discovering your femininity, or masculinity, your color palette and flattering shapes, until you understand that you will be judged for it, so what you show better be what you have in mind. And ladies, won’t you be excited to know that we, as an entire gender, have the upper hand on those poor, pathetic, smelly boys. We’ll just have to teach them how to be Fierce as well. There is so much work to be done!