george - houston, Texas
Themes: work

Hard Work, This I Believe

I believe in working hard to achieve your goals. I believe that in the end, hard work will pay off, and in almost every instance, one will be successful if they put in the time. One of the best quotes I’ve ever heard emphasizes hard work, “Hard work beats talent when talent hardly works.” I first heard this freshmen year at football practice during our off-season program. My freshmen year I transferred to a large, athletic-oriented public school. Coming from a small private school this was a big awakening for me. I had never been exposed to that kind of program. Basically, you were supposed to play one sport all of high school. If you were athletic enough to play another sport, you practiced you second sport every other day, alternating with football. This was the first time I had ever been exposed to the idea of playing and/or practicing a sport year round. This level of intensity and specialization was a completely new idea. However, even with the strenuous amount of work, I was very happy that this dedication was revealed to me. I had already decided to transfer back to my old school to play sports with my friends, but I was not coming back empty handed. I introduced this concept to my friend, quarterback, and team leader. He loved the idea, and we immediately began practicing football year round. From lifting weights, to sprinting, to running routes, and catching balls, we have worked up to this point on specializing in football. Though our potential championship season has fallen short, having lost to school much larger than our own, we played them closer than anyone else in our league and finished with one of the most successful seasons that our school has played in nearly twenty years. I believe that only through hard work and dedication were we able to achieve this.