Laura - Houston, Texas

I believe in the individual and the free spirit. I believe in dancing randomly without music and screaming at the top of my lungs just because I feel like it. I believe in skipping instead of walking and eating until your stomach hurts. But most of all, I believe that if I want to be a prima ballerina when I grow up, then I will be the best professional dancer this world has ever seen.

Being a senior at a competitive private high school, I have had to believe that there is a future that I am working so hard for, a light at the end of the tunnel. I came to this school, a Kindergarten through 12th grade institution, my freshman year in high school amongst peers who had been here for a lifetime. At first, everything here was daunting: the big scary senior girls who I could have sworn had it out for me, taking notes when the teacher was talking a mile a minute, and studying for that Biology test that would be worth 25% of my grade. Everything in school seemed to be harder to me than my classmates; they could finish their homework every night with ease and understand Algebra II with perfect 100 averages, I seemed to always have late homework and my Algebra grade was at least 20 points lower than theirs. I was ready to transfer and to move on but somehow my brother convinced me to change my mind.

My brother Josh is two years older than me and attended the same high school. He was always a slacker but undeniably intelligent and as he put it, if he could do it, then I could do it. He continued to inspire me when he proceeded on to NYU to further his education and made me realize what I could become if I asserted myself, and that is exactly what I did. I have made all the way to my senior year with improved grades and a much greater self confidence. I may not have gone through high school stressing about college or being the star athlete as many of my peers have, but I have made this experience my own. I have re-vamped many clubs and made great friends. I am not scared to be myself when around my friends and I do not take everything too seriously. I am known for being goofy but fun and that is reputation I embrace.

In May I will graduate amongst my peers and gain the same diploma they receive. While I may not go onto an Ivy League school, I will attend a respectable college and I am sure I will succeed wherever I go if I set my heart on it. I believe that with optimism comes success and with dedication comes achievement. I believe in getting past the struggle and I believe that you can achieve what you want to achieve by doing things your own way and having fun with them.