kelsey - Abington, Pennsylvania

I believe in appreciating the traits you possess that others may see as negative. I’m sure we’ve all been through that awkward middle school stage of life where we are self conscious and always questioning who we are. In that period of my life, as I think we all were, I was forced to figure some things out for myself. It is a process of learning to love yourself and all of your stupid little quirks. These are things that most likely are seen as something bad, flaws that you see in yourself. But they are what make you who you are and set you apart. For my sanity’s sake I’ve learned to embrace and love my so-called deficiencies. This ability to be comfortable with yourself can also be used to encourage those who may be a little harder on themselves to learn from example.

Now I am not the most fit or traditionally beautiful person. However after struggling with body image for a part of my life, I now absolutely love my body and couldn’t care less how you feel about it. I think my friends would agree that I am pretty comfortable when it comes to that and some have told me that seeing me be confident in my own skin has helped them to be less critical of their own bodies. I believe that if you can grow to accept yourself and be happy you can show others that they don’t have to be a perfect 10 to be confident.

Having this kind of mind set helps to evaluate those less than beautiful parts of you and be aware of them so you are better able to understand other people’s criticism. Having this acceptance of yourself helps you to know and love who you really are instead of constantly trying to change into this other person who would more readily fit in. Understanding yourself is something that I believe is critical to having a happy and fulfilling life. I believe in myself. I believe that knowing who you are and loving that person will help in all aspects of life. I believe that the more you embrace the characteristics that set you apart the more confidence you’ll have. I believe that the more you believe in yourself, the more other people around you will in turn begin to believe in themselves as well.