Lizzy - Houston, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that we all need to slow down every once in a while and take the time out of our busy lives to stop and enjoy life. We all move so fast that we lose each other, lose touch with the world around us, and lose contact with one another. Everyone has such a one track mind, only focusing on how to get ahead in life, that we all forget to stop and reflect on our lives every once in a while. People have become so detached from one another that a simple phone call becomes a chore because it is seen as a waste of time.

If we all stopped for a few moments everyday we would be able to find joy in the simplest things in life, like a sky with no clouds. Yet most of us are so focused on being the best, that this seems to be an uncommon rarity in the 21st century. Our world has become like this because of people’s selfishness and lack of caring about others.

And I am not just criticizing other people; I am just as guilty as the next person when it comes to moving through life too quickly. Yet, I just had this realization about my own life, and was able to see that if I don’t take the time out of my day to stop, slow down, and look around I am going to miss some really important things. I am a senior in high school and most of this year has already blown right past me, and have been too wrapped up in my own life to re- evaluate what really is important to me. With so much on my plate right now it has been so easy to just focus on myself, and forget about my friends and family. Yet with this realization I have made more of an effort to slow down, look at the big picture, and take the time out of my busy schedule to enjoy my life, and the little time left that I have with my friends before we graduate.

What really matters in the long run, is not how many A’s we make in high school, or how many clubs we were the presidents of, but how many good friends we have at the end of the day, and how many good memories we are able to share with one another. If we all just stop, and slow down every once in a while I believe that people will have an all around better outlook, especially when they are not just rushing around from one task to another just trying to barely make it through the day alive. We are all so busy and encompassed with our own lives that we rarely take the time out to slow down, stop, and look around. Yet if we do take the time to slow down every once in a while, I think that we will all be able to appreciate the things in life that matter more in the end, instead of focusing on the little details in life that we all forget in the end.