Mariah - eden prairie, Minnesota

I believe in being yourself. This is a key aspect in many people’s lives, but few really have the fortitude to live it. I have changed schools many times in my life and know the fears of new places and new people. Yet, I have learned that it is much easier to be yourself than to be what others want you to be. One of the most prominent school changes in my life was into seventh grade at Benilde St.-Margaret (BSM).

I remember this day just like it was yesterday. I was going into seventh grade at BSM Junior High a week later than everyone else. The reason I came a week late is because I had turned down the offer to attend BSM Junior High the previous spring. I had decided to stay at my old school. Then, one day I attended my older sister’s volley ball game at BSM. Everyone was really friendly and I regretted my decision. When I told my mom this, another lady who was sitting next to her heard this and told my mom that another student had just dropped out that day. So, the next day my mom called BSM and they did have an opening! This is why it was difficult, because many people knew that I was coming late. The students had already made friends in just a week and I felt left out. Another reason this day was difficult was because no one could come and help me. I had to do it all by myself. In the past, since I am the youngest, my older siblings were always nearby to help me if I had any difficulties or I just needed to see a familiar face. Once classes started it was easier to meet people because of the interaction in class. Another part that was extremely difficult that day was lunchtime. I brought a bagged lunch and most people had a hot lunch from the cafeteria. So, I was sitting by myself when some nice girls came and sat with me. They were really nice and asked me lots of questions and we talked a lot during lunch. These girls changed my perspective on many things in life, from that day on. I realized that day that new things don’t always have to be scary and can be positive. As of now I am a sophomore and I am still friends with these girls. I expect to remain life long friends with them forever. That day taught me a lot about being myself and now I know what it feels like to be the new kid. So, whenever I see someone new, I talk to them and try to make them feel welcome. That day also taught me a lot about what it means to be yourself. I know that had I not been myself, I might not have made such good friends.

Being yourself is not easy, but if you are not yourself, people do not know what you are like and who you really are. So I would rather be myself and have true friends than have friends who do not really know the real me. So be yourself!