Adversity

Mark - leesburg, Virginia

I believe in overcoming adversity. I believe that anything can be accomplished if one has the desire and the will-power to do so. In my opinion overcoming the conflict mentally is more important than overcoming the conflict physically. In being the underdog most of my life, I have felt this need and urge to strive for success and to be the best.

All my life I have competed athletically in a variety of sports such as basketball, football, and rugby. I was never the biggest, strongest or even the fastest person on the field of play. Rather the smallest and always deemed useless because of my lack in size. By knowing that I’m not the best has given me passion and desire to overcome and strive to be the best and dominate everyone else. When I know I’m not the best I lose all sense and capacities of my abilities. Food loses taste, my views are altered, I cannot think, I cannot dream, not until I have proven to the world that I am not a push over. Whenever I’m down and out the fire in my heart burns stronger than ever.

During my first year of playing rugby, I was told that I might not make it because my fragile body may not be physical durable to last a whole season. I was outraged by this remark. Whenever I was on the field I would be targeted by the opposing team. To them I was the “weak” spot. When they believed this, I knew they were wrong. I knew I could use this advantage in every game.

This reminds me of a special moment. In a rugby playoff game, my team was playing the best in the state. When the kickoff was launched, the biggest player on their team caught the ball and identified me as an easy way to score. This was my moment to prove myself and fulfill my destiny. I would stand my ground and prove that adversity can be beaten when “will” is stronger than matter. The other player charged at me with full force, at this moment I took all my adrenaline and blitzed him. This collision was magnanimous. Before I knew it he was on the ground and the ambulance was rushing out. Apparently I had broken his collar bone, and in return been left with a scratch. Shortly afterwards, the message had spread around the divisions that I, “David”, had destroyed a “Goliath”. From then on I was feared and acknowledged.

At that moment I had accomplished my goal. I proved that anything can be accomplished if desired. Mind over matter was the first step, and the rest was history. This I believe: To overcome adversity is done by believing in yourself and your abilities. To have the will and desire to succeed can accomplish anything. Never let anything stop you. To overcome adversity is the greatest worth of all. It proves your uniqueness and individuality.