“This I believe”

Jessica - Seabrook, New Hampshire

When I was growing up as a little girl I never really had my father around. I didn’t really know what it was like to have a relationship with my dad. It was only my mom and my brother around all the time. Every day my dad would leave early in the morning to go to work and he wouldn’t come home from work until midnight every night. I would have to call him during the day to say “hi” or I would have to call him before I went to bed to say “good night daddy” and “I love you daddy.” I didn’t really know what it was like to have a father in my life.

One day when I was in the 7th grade, I found out that my parents were getting divorced. I thought that this was the worst time of my life and I didn’t really know what was going to happen. I thought I would never get to see him, but I did, and my dad and I ended up having the best relationship ever. We were pretty much inseparable. We did so much together. We always took trips to Florida and went camping in Maine and had the best time of our lives. I thought that nothing could ever ruin that relationship with him.

But then one day that all changed. When I was in the 10th grade and I was just turning 16, I was over my friends house when my mom called me up on my cell phone all hysterical and she couldn’t really talk. She told me she was coming to pick me up. When she got to my friends house she was crying and could barely talk and I didn’t know what was going on. When we got home she told me that my dad had passed away in Maine. He ended up having a massive heart attack. I thought to myself that this wasn’t possible because I was just with him the night before and the morning that it had happened. He seemed so happy that day and nothing seemed wrong. But then I found out that it did happened and I just cried. A few days later I had to go plan pretty much everything for his funeral and it was hard for me to do that. Luckily I had some great friends that were there for me for everything to make sure I was doing okay. That was definitely the worst day of my life. I would never want to go through something like that again. It hurts knowing I will not have him in my life anymore because he was my life and my hero.

This is why I believe that no ones really knows what is going to happen tomorrow, or in the future. Anything can happen at anytime, unexpectedly and this is why you should live your life to the fullest and just have fun and love your family and everyone around you.