Bad Hair Days

Meryl - Provo, Utah

It began as a pretty average day; nothing too out of the ordinary. I dragged myself out of bed and started to get ready for a day full of classes. As my blow drying finally came to an end, I looked in the mirror with horror. What I saw was a sickened expression surrounded by a mane of crazy fuzz. Could this really be happening? It was not an average day. It was a no good, bad hair day- much worse than most average days.

The extra time it took to fix my hair made me late for class. Being late, of course, meant that all the seats were taken, so I was forced to plop on the hard floor for the remainder of the boring lecture. Then at lunch, I felt like the entire world was staring at me with unforgiving eyes. Embarrassed, I struggled to finish my applesauce in peace. As the day progressed, I felt as though strangers were pointing and laughing at me and my sad, sad hairdo. But all I could really do was endure the embarrassment, and hope for better hair the next day.

It took me a while to realize that what I experienced that day was not simply bad hair. It was my “bad hair” attitude that ultimately ruined my not-so-normal day. The truth is, bad hair days are bad because of a decision made within.

I had a friend growing up who was always complaining about something. Every time I was around her, I found that her negative attitude was contagious and I always felt uncomfortable when I was around her. Then one summer, she moved away; and as I reflected on our friendship, it pained me to realize that she didn’t have much to look forward to because she never allowed herself to be very happy. It hurt me to look back and realize how much fun we could have had together if she had maintained a brighter point of view. Because of this experience, I decided that I never wanted to have such a bad attitude.

I have found that no matter how horrible the circumstance, and no matter what life throws my way, I can always choose to be happy. Every time I find myself in a negative mood, I think of my friend and try change my attitude instead of finding something (such as hair) to blame for my bad day. It’s easy to get wrapped up in “bad hair” ways of thinking. But with a happy approach to life, bad hair days don’t have to be so bad. I believe that attitude can change outlook for the better. I believe that attitude can make or break any situation. I believe that attitude is everything. I echo the words of Zig Ziglar who once said: “It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.”