Logan - Dallas, Texas

I believe in my sense of humor.

I have never considered myself a comedian or even a ‘funny’ person, but I have always been a fan of a reasonable amount of humor.

I believe in the subtle humor of irony and the way it temporarily quenches my thirst for a bit of wittiness. Whenever I am asked to find literary devices in readings I always look for irony first. Irony is the kind of humor you do not laugh out loud about, and that is why I love it. I believe in sarcasm and the way its words seem to smirk at their victim. Often I use sarcasm during cross country saying, “Coach, I cannot WAIT to run for 45 minutes in 85 degree weather!” I believe in the dry humor used by the wise that usually requires deep thought to understand the meaning. One of my favorite teachers was Mr. Cook and it was primarily because of his dry humor. The dry humor he weaved into the class made it the best part of my day. They are almost like puzzles with the prize for completion being laughter. I believe in a bad joke that only your parents can tell, and how the funny part is not the joke itself, but the person telling it. Like when my Dad comes opens dinner with by saying, “Knock, Knock.”

“…who’s there Dad,” I sigh.

“Banana,” he says.

“Banana who dad?” I say.

“Knock, Knock,” he says.

“…Who’s, there?” I say.

“Banana,” he says.

“Banana who?” I say.

“Knock, knock,” he says, chuckling to himself a bit.

Despite the fact that I already know the punch line, I say, “Who’s there?”

“Orange,” he says.

“Orange who dad?” I say.

“Orange you glad I didn’t say banana?” he says, afterwards nearly laughing himself out of his seat.

Comedy has always had an uplifting effect on me. Whenever I am faced with difficult periods of my life, I have used comedy to remind myself that the world is not always so dark. About eleven months ago my parents came to my brother and me to tell us that their marriage was not going well. I would be lying if I said my parents have had a perfect marriage, but I never expected them to get a divorce. I seemed to have an unrealistic and selfish belief that they would wait until I had graduated from high school to get the divorce.

Throughout the entire ordeal comedy was my best friend. Not to say that I was alone, but whenever I began to feel depressed I used comedy to cheer myself up. For example, when my brother Connor and I first found out about the divorce we broke down and sat in his room thinking about it. We remained quiet, attempting to cope with the realization of a new life, and then I said jokingly, “Hey, look at the bright side Connor, since Mom and Dad are going to be at different houses you will be able to have plenty of senior parties!” We both smiled slightly, and thanks to comedy, realized that like no matter how bad a situation may seem things will improve and life will move on.