Being an Optimist

Erika - Belmont, New Hampshire
Themes: family, hope

I believe that being an optimist will in turn make life more enjoyable. This is something my mother preached to our whole family for as long as I can remember. Some people in my family choose to live by that principle and some don’t. I fully believe in this concept unlike my brother, who is the complete opposite – A pessimist at best.

I believe that being an optimist will bring success into your life. In my high school psychology class I learned about self-fulfilling prophecy, which basically says what one person believes about themselves leads one to act in ways that confirm the belief. For example if you have a math test coming up and you constantly are saying things like, “I know I’m going to fail. I always do. I’ve always been bad at math. My parents were bad at math and I am too.”, chances are you are going to fail. You have to keep a positive outlook like, “I studied for this test everyday, and there is no way I’m failing.” Keeping a positive outlook is the key to success.

In life there are highs and lows. Everybody has those days where you can’t wait to go back to bed and pretend that day never happened. I believe you should strive to look on the bright side of things. It may be difficult at times but I believe everything happens for a reason. For example my older brother’s last serious relationship ended on more than a sour note. He was devastated. Yes, it was a bad thing to my brother that they broke up. But on the bright side she was a girl with a whole lot of baggage, including a number of addictions, children, and a husband. Everything happens for a reason. My brother can now look back on the situation and see that it was without a doubt better for him. Regardless, my brother is still a pessimist. A week doesn’t go by without him saying this is the worst day of his life.

It could always be worse. That is the mindset my mother and I try to maintain. At least we have each other, food on the table, our health and our lives. Keeping an optimistic outlook on life will make life much more enjoyable.