JoAnne - Spokane, Washington

I believe that everyone has their own thought of happiness. I have learned to take things as they come, and to make the best of a bad situation.

I fell in love at the age of 14, we dated for four years. I graduated at 18, and then I moved to San Diego so I could be near him, as he joined the Marines. We were married at this time. Life was good, I was as happy as could be.

He got his orders to go to Vietnam in December of 1968. In January of 1969 he was hurt. I stayed in San Diego for over a year, until he was discharged.

We moved back to San Jose to live. I was soon to have a baby, as it turns out it was a boy. Life is good, again I was has happy as could be.

We bought a house, in November of 1971; I had a girl, could it get any better? Hell no, things went downhill from there. He met another woman, left me and the kids.

I was 23, two children, in a new home for less than a year. It was time for me to start a new life. So I got a job and found life as a single Mom was going to be fun.

I got a job at National Electronics, I worked a graveyard shift, and my Mother watched my kids at night.

I loved my job; we found a bar with a live band at 7:30 in the morning, again life was good.

I have learned the most important thing in life; we all have our ups and downs, I have learned that in time things don’t seem so bad .Things are what we make of it; time will let you enjoy life.

When you are happy, life is better. You must learn not to over react when things happen. Find a way to make it work for you. Some things take longer to deal with, some things you can look in the face and say “Whatever”. When you’re happy, everything looks brighter.

Life will have all kind of ups and downs, how you handle them is the key. Some things will come at you with everything that is bad and evil, take a deep breath than ask yourself, how can I make this work for me? This is the time that you make the best of a bad situation.

You can get through anything, my Father told me one time you can have anything you want; you just have to want it bad enough. I live by that, because all I want is to be happy. Whenever something happens that I don’t think is right for me, I turn it around. I have learned not to get mad, not to get upset; I just find a way to deal with it.

When we were small children everything was good, we were always happy; as we get older we learn to get mad, upset, and to feel bad.

I guess the trick is to stay young enough to be happy, so I guess what I ‘am telling you is ,never grow up!