Julia - minnetonka, Minnesota

I believe in many things. I believe in the greater good. I believe that there is something in everyone that pushes us to do better. Maybe it’s to achieve that first place award; maybe it’s just to get a better score on a test. In my case, it’s just to be a better person. That could mean several different things to several different people, but I take it to mean that I go out of my way to follow the virtues and to be myself. The latter is most important to me. I am the one getting me through the day and I am the one who will be there the rest of my life, so I have to like who I am even if others don’t.

I believe in an open mind. To me, everyone should be a lot more open-minded than they are now. From the people who judge their best friends to the people who say that some people can’t get married because of who they love. They are certainly not following the Golden Rule, which says to treat others as you want to be treated. If the judgmental people want to be looked at in disgust, then they should continue doing that. If they want to be treated with respect, then I suggest that they start treating others that way.

I believe in karma. If I feel guilty about something I did, it will most likely come back around and hit me harder. Whether it’s just the feeling of being guilty or someone finding out about it, there’s always something that comes back fighting.

I believe in faith. Faith is always there when I need it. To me, faith means that I know I will get myself through hard times, and that I know my friends and family will be there when I need them the most. Faith means that I believe in myself, and my ability to be a responsible and independent human being.

I believe in a lot of things, most of them aren’t necessarily what the stereotypical belief is, but I know that I would not be here today if I didn’t do what I think is right.