This I believe

Corriell - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Themes: sports, work

I thoroughly believe that doing all my work and doing the work the best that I can will pay off in life, unfortunately sometimes it does not. Many times I have discovered that if I just do my homework and take the test I do poorly. But if I do all my homework and study for the tests, I will be successful. Hard work makes the difference.

When I was three and five years old, I had two eye surgeries and was not able to read until I was nine years old. Everyday I had to excersize my eyes in ways that were impossible, they caused me to tear up and cry. Then I would begin to give up, but somehow through all this eye drama I found something that kept I would improve with hard work, which kept me going. Now english is my favorite subject.

Through rowing on a Crew team, I have found that rowing hard until I cannot walk pays off. The work shows how strong I am physically and mentally, it shows my potential and also who I am, a hard worker. I just saw a movie, The Pursuit of Happyness, which tells a story of a homeless father and son who struggle through life and couldn’t have more impossible situations to go through. This father is so entirely desperate to have a good and solid life for his son, that he goes for the impossible job and, for someone like himself who had no further education than high school, becomes a stock broker and now in real life is living as a millionaire. Most movies I see do not touch me as this one did. Because it is a true story, I felt as though nothing is impossible and I thought I can do anything if I work for it. Whenever I want to just give up on my work, I think of the father who challenged himself and told himself that he could get a stable future for his son. This is why I believe in the value of hard work.