Ben - Houston, Texas

I have friends who, every weekend, peruse their online assignment sheet, looking for homework they can do to for the following week. However, instead of getting their work done so they have time to relax later, they simply use the extra time to do more work. Instead of constantly planning ahead in a never ending cycle of work, I believe in procrastination.

It’s my senior year and instead of being diligent and staying on top of things, I want to spend as long as possible doing as little as possible. This does not mean I just blow off school, I still complete all my coursework and turn most of it in on time, but I anticipate my ability to do all my work in that incredibly long last minute.

There are some teachers who hold this against me and other similarly sluggish students by refusing to give extensions regardless of the circumstances and complaining that we had weeks to do the work in advance. On most nights I have something do the next morning which requires my attention and when I am free of any impending deadlines I would rather relax than spend an inordinate amount of time doing something that won’t be due for weeks. See, the thing is, I work best when I am under pressure to finish quickly and I am able to cram more work into that last minute than into a “planning ahead” hour.

Last year I had the largest workload of any of my previous years of high school which often forced me to start and finish English papers after midnight on the day they were due. Despite this lack of planning I still managed to write better papers than I had throughout freshman or sophomore year. Procrastinating until the last minute tends to bring the best out of me because I am forced to write down only the first thing that I can think of and instead of critiquing my own work I between each sentence the lack of time forces me to flow from one sentence to the next, reacting to each thought that I have, hopefully ending up at the point that I wanted to make.

There really is no reason to do something now if you can put if off until later because anticipation never works as well as reaction because, really, every choice we make is in reaction to the ones that have already been made. In life we cannot always plan ahead which is why I believe in waiting until the last minute and enjoying each second of sweet procrastination.