Jim - Chandler, Arizona

This I believe

I believe each of us can make the world better and cleaner

From the time I was a young child, I’m now 55 I have always believed we should help each other and share. Since I was 5 years old I have ridden a bicycle for fun and errands. I used to ride it on my newspaper route and to mow lawns to neighbors. Now I find riding a bicycle is still fun and good for my health as well as the worlds health.

I have always been a volunteer. Working for no money just for the reason it was the right thing to do. I volunteered at the Red Cross as a hemotron operator in the blood services are for over 10 years. I also donated blood in the 60 day club. When I helped in the evening and week ends I drove the DAT van. Disaster Action Team van. We would go to fires to help relocate the family.

At the Library I used to adapt toys for the handicapped in a program called project adapt. While I was doing that I found they had talking books for the blind that needed repairs (tape players marked in braille). I started working on them and found some co-worker at the phone company PIONEERS also used to repair them. We all started meeting on Saturdays and got a nice group of 6 that used to help. I mentioned it at the Red Cross one day to a fellow volunteer and he said he used to fix them at the General Electric ELFUN group. We all joined up and have about 10 people that help out. A few are husband and wife all helping.

At work we also had an EXPLORER post associated with the Boy Scouts where we helped high school students learn about electronics. I headed up that groups for a few years. We had students make volt ohm meters from kits we gave them. This way they could learn about the parts and hoe thy work as well as have it to use in their future careers.

When I moved to Arizona I couldn’t believe how clear and sunny it was. I installed a Solar Grid tied system on my home myself before incentives or net-metering. My wife and I joined a local solar group and the national ASES American Solar Energy Association to help educate others about living cleaner. We are also in a local Electric Vehicle group that is part of the National EAAEV.org It’s interesting that many of us have cleaner more efficient homes and vehicles. We all think they go together very well.

My wife and I continue to ride our bicycles, help out in our local church and volunteer in many organizations. We believe each one of us can and does make a difference every day.