Nandi - Charlotte, North Carolina

The Grill

By: Nandi Brumidge

I believe that “with sustenance and covering we are to be happy with these things.” (1Tim. 6:8)

I remember many times as a child, and even sometimes, now wanting the latest and greatest gadget, the best car, the prettiest dress. Not long ago, I fell in love with a 28in by 14in stainless steel grill in the back aisle of a Value City store. I admit, although I didn’t need it, that I felt my soul would be torn away from me if I were to leave my recently beloved grill at a lonely, cold, retail store.

Looking back at that moment now and the many more that are bound to come, I think of how society has always molded us not to be happy with what we have but to always want more. It has sown these doubts into our head, both materialistically and physically, that govern how we judge not only what we want but how we see ourselves, and our body image. We are infused with pessimistic views and often reason that something is not good enough, not shiny enough, not skinny enough, not pretty enough. But really, when your wants are insatiable, will you ever be happy?

In school I was taught to always aim higher, to pursue higher education, take on the American dream. When I told my counselor that I wanted to be a nurse, he said why not be a doctor? When I aspired to be a doctor, my teacher asked “Why not become a chemical engineer?” Then I realized that I was on a never ending ladder of possibility, in which the bar was always raised, and nothing I did or pursued was ever enough. Those in the school system judged success in life as the status I would receive by society. They were only trying to make me the best that I could be, but would those choices really make me happy?

Since then I’ve forsaken the life that I could’ve had and am pursuing a career I want. I will be a Registered Nurse instead of a doctor or a chemical engineer. I didn’t buy that grill, but I’m happy. No one can take that away from me. As did Timothy, I believe that “with sustenance and covering we are to be happy with these things.”