Alfredia - Norcross, Georgia

Many people in today’s world are given the opportunity to have more than one shot at a decision. Whether its school, life, career or family, choices are always given. At time people don’t see the greater choices, in life, thrown at them. I know I didn’t. It’s similar to having a pass thrown at you and you miss your opportunity by not catching it.

Sports have always been a passion for me, especially basketball and track. I can remember being the only girl on the basketball courts, swamped with guys, waiting on my chance to play next in a game. My adrenaline rising at the start of a track race at local schools meets, for I was that confident in my talent. What a great feeling! Although I still enjoy both in equal ways, my first choice I had was a chance at a scholarship to Morgan State University. Pregnancy would hold me back; I had to prepare for motherhood at such a young age.

Meanwhile, as parenting has formed, I made the choice to not stop in my goals. I wanted to become a pediatrician. I took action. Attending school part-time, working full-time was a competitive task. Chatting on the phone late-night, partying at clubs, minimum hours of sleep, sleepless night, grades dropping, GPA dropping, I had to get back on track. I was given another chance. Having a much supportive family, I was able to attend school full-time and work part-time.

Often unappreciative, I had to take a good look at my life. Very few are given the opportunity such as mine. I wanted to be an achievable role model for my children. Yes, I was a single mother of two; yes I was in college but then what? My life was at a standing point. What was I going to do?

I took charge of my life and began to be proactive. Grades inclined, my GPA inclined, my feeling of succeeding has even inclined. My future now sits in my hand.

An unknown author states and I quote, “Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions.” I am glad I’ve made such choices in my past, if I hadn’t I probably wouldn’t be able to make wiser choices now. With every choice there is a consequence. Whether the outcome is good or bad, rest assure within you. The next time a pass it thrown at me, I hope my feet are anchored, my body condition and my glove is open. There might not be a third chance.