James - Spokane, Washington
Themes: afterlife, family

I have always known that life doesn’t last forever. While growing up, I learned early that people do not live forever. This was first became known to me while I was very young, when my grandfather had passed away. Through the years of my childhood, I lost many family members due to old age. This never really bothered me, because my mother would always tell me “It was just their time, and their body had just worn out”. I had asked her a couple times where they had gone; but she always told me that they went to a better place, and she wasn’t really sure where that was.

I was 23 when my first daughter was born. I was excited, nervous, and worried about what her future had in store for her. These were just the usual feelings a father gets, when he thinks about his new responsibilities as a parent. I soon found that these feelings were fleeting, when she passed only a short seven weeks later. The initial shock of the situation was overwhelming to say the least, but over time, the emotions got steadily easier to deal with.

The one thing I still think about to this day is what happened the night after she had passed away. My wife and I had woken up in the middle of the night at the same time. She told me about a dream she had had about her deceased grandmother, and what her grandmother had told her in this dream. Her grandmother had told her that everything was alright, and our daughter will be looked after. What confused me the most about all this is that I also had a similar dream, but in my dream, I had no idea who the woman was that was speaking to me. I described the woman to my wife, and with a look of shock on her face, she then told me that it was her grandmother. I had never met her grandmother; nor have I ever seen a picture of her even to this day. In retrospect, the dream was very reassuring for both of us, as well as comforting in a time when we needed comfort.

It’s hard to say where the dream came from, but most people think this is just an apparition of the mind; as a result, something made up in the recesses of the brain to help cope with a problematic situation. I have always wanted to believe that there is someplace to go after we have gone from this earth, and this situation in my life helped me believe that even more.