This I Believe: Life is not fair

Samantha - mpls, Minnesota
Themes: setbacks

“I just can’t take it, I hate running!” I vent to my mom after a long sweaty practice.

“Be happy you CAN even run Sam.” As soon as she said it I knew what was coming, my hundredth sad, be greatful story told by nurse mother from Sister Kenny Rehab Center. Little did I know this one would be different. Every story makes me really think and makes me a little more grateful, makes me grateful for every small ability that I know can be taken in a second, like walking my dog down to the store, running down the field in a soccer game or just being able to get myself out of bed every morning. This different than the rest, really hit home. Every story starts different, but each ends the same, quadriplegic, parapliddgic, unfair and unwanted suffering.

The story she had today was about a 17-year-old girl named daneis. Daneis was a senior who was planning to graduate in only 4 months with a 3.9 GPA, top of her class, also happened to be homecoming queen and president of student consol. Not to mention her being a varsity soccer, basketball and softball player of her school.

In a matter of 2 seconds Daneis’s life took quite a change. After being hit by a drunk driver walking home from a friend’s house denies no longer feels her legs or feeds herself, not to mention her other hobbies.

This story is much like the daily stories I hear, but hit much closer to home, and really showed me that life is not always fair. I cant even count the number of times that I cross the street at night alone, walking my dog around my neiborhood, walking around the lake, and to think that I could have all of that taken away from me in one second didn’t just make me sad, it really changed the way I live. That story made me realize and really feel how short life is, my thoughts, my actions my whole outlook on life is altered. I’ve always known “you don’t always get what you want” and “fairness isn’t always a part of life,” but this story showed me in a different way than ever, I now truly believe life is not fair.