Evalena - hollywood, Florida

Around four years ago I had an experience that I feel was life-changing. I lost my mother. Although she was still alive, living a “healthy” life, she is dead to me. She will always be my mother, and in my heart I will always love her. But, physically, mentally, and emotionally, she does not exist.

For the first ten years of my life, she was nearly the “perfect” mother. My brother and I were raised well. We were always polite, and never showed disrespect to any family member, and especially any adult. My parents also seemed to have a normal marriage, with some occasional fighting. We never saw anything too serious. It is still hard to believe that one bad habit changed this whole lifestyle.

I soon began to see my mother in a different light, however She never quite cared to do the dishes, cook dinner or show any type of love to my family. She seemed angry all the time too. She acted hostile, and yelled at my brother and me for the most absurd reasons. Her hostility soon became severely physical, which led me to realize my mother had a problem. She was addicted to prescription painkillers, and became so physically and mentally abusive that I began to fear for her. Drugs were more important then the love for her family. That is when I knew I needed her out of my life.

After an extremely physical experience witnessed by one of my good friends, my father went to the authorities. It resulted in a restraining order, and I haven’t seen my mother in four years. Although I miss her and still love her, I understand that my life is much better without her.

On the other hand, my father and I have an amazing relationship now; He is my mother and father. We have established an extraordinary friendship that I am so thankful to have. My father is at every sports event that I participate in. He does everything a mother should do and much more. My father struggles every day to make sure that my family is content. Without my father, who is my support, I have no idea where I would be right now.

I’ve learned many things from my mother’s wrongdoings. I will never do drugs, alcohol or anything that is abusive to me, or other individuals. This incident has made me incredibly stronger. I now value life and the good qualities that people have. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and the occurrences that happened in my past made me stronger and the person I am today. Many people work hard and feel accomplished to achieve physical strength, but I am fortunate to have an experience such as this one, to become emotionally stronger.