This I Believe Essay

Gabrielle - Golden Beach, Florida
Themes: death, family

I believe that you should never give up, no matter how hard life gets.

When my grandmother died, it was not a peaceful death. Revived through CPR and shock treatments, she was placed into the intensive care center of the hospital. As she lay there in a coma, motionless, as if something had sucked all from within, I could see in her eyes that she was still fighting. We prayed, and then prayed a little more. We kept talking to her, hoping she would hear us and wake up. As her heart rate went down, we could see that the end was near. I began to realize how her life, and now death, affected everyone and especially me.

For most of my life, my grandma and I had a complicated relationship. Whenever I found out she was coming into town, I would dread it. She and I fought about mostly anything and everything there was to fight about. She was the type of person who could never be told that she was wrong, and was always the one to win the debate. She had a passion for arguments and I loved to instigate them. But just as she fought with me, she also fought her cancer. She would never let it keep her down and no matter how many times it returned she would certainly win the quarrel. For the first time in her life, however, she lost.

Now, as I am sitting here, I remember the kind of person my grandma really was. She tried to get everything she could possibly get out of life. She loved to read and was an expert on history. Most of all, she liked teaching others, even when it was information that they did not want to here. And although she may have been belligerent, she always was right beside you when you needed her.

However, her life was not a piece of cake. She had emigrated from Russia, experienced the death of two of her husbands, and battled with cancer three times, not to mention the other sicknesses she also had. But still, she persisted to live life to the fullest.

The expression “you never appreciate something until it’s lost” can be applied to my situation. Unfortunately, when my grandmother was alive, I did not think of her in the same way that I have since she passed. But now I understand the vital lesson her death had taught me.

My grandmother’s life and attitude should be an example for all. Most people surrender when life gets too tough. But like my grandmother, you must overcome these obstacles in order to succeed. Sometimes, you may lose. Nevertheless, this should not stop you from getting back on your feet and starting over.

I believe that you should never give up, no matter how hard life gets. I believe in fighting just as my grandmother did.