Nicholas - Sunrise, Florida

Ever since I was about five years old, I’ve had a love of music. I remember I would often take a few of my dad’s CD’s, sit in his room, and lay there listening for hours. To me, there is nothing more enjoyable than just sitting back, closing my eyes, and listening to music. Just listening and letting it surround me. For as long as I can remember, my dad has always been a lover of music. On Sundays he would often play, and still does, almost anything from Paul Simon to Charlie Parker. For my entire life, music has always surrounded me, almost inescapably, and I’m glad for that.

I believe in the power that music holds. It can change your mood in a second, or help you get through times of depression or anger. It has defined generations and has changed lives. It has assimilated itself into cultures and lifestyles, and has even defined who we are as people.

It wasn’t until I started middle school that I really started getting into music and started to realize just how powerful it really was. I found that if I was ever in a bad mood, or just not feeling well, certain songs would help change my mood, sometimes instantly. I found that if I just listened, sometimes I could learn things. The first time I heard about the conflict diamond trade was in a song. I’ve also found that music has changed the way I view certain things. It has shown me different people’s different views on life, some of which I agree with, some of which I don’t. It has shown me different cultures, lifestyles, and mentalities.

My music has in a way integrated itself into my daily life. In the morning, I wake up to the sound of the radio; on the way to and from school, I listen to my MP3 player, which I never leave home without. When I’m doing my homework, I have some in the background. On the weekends, I always have some playing. I even have a nice playlist of music just for Fridays.

I think the thing that most amazes me about music is how universal it is. Music is found everywhere around us from a mother’s lullaby to her newborn child to a packed nightclub in Hong Kong. No matter where you go, music is there. It’s something common to every culture in the world since early civilization. It transcends all barriers between people. A song sounds exactly the same and is just as enjoyable in California as it is in England. It’s just one of those few things that everyone, everywhere has in common and can relate to.

I believe in the power music has. I’m glad music has become a part of my life. It’s something I’ve enjoyed for years and something I hope I can contribute to. I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t want to be a part of something this remarkable.