Bennett - minneapolis, Minnesota

This I Believe Essay

I’m just your average teenager. I go to school, train for my sports, and hang out with my friends once and awhile. But it was during the middle of last summer that I realized that I needed to tackle some challenges before school started. One of the bigger things was getting my driver’s license. For almost 2 years I’ve had my permit and have never gone in to take the final test. I wasn’t sure what to do. It was a couple days when my mom came up to me and I explained my problem. She said it was going to be fine and that I’d pass. For a month, I practiced with my brother around the town, trying to make my parking skills better. A week later, I passed, all thanks to my family and their encouragement.

Running was my next problem. Some people can get their minds focused right away on a certain thing. For me, that’s pretty hard, trying to zone out and not think about the race while I’m racing. That’s why I have my older brother. He’s one of the coaches on the team and can usually help people through their problems. Before a race he’ll come up to me and we’ll chat. He’ll talk about stuff with me that isn’t even concerned with the race. Then a couple minutes before the gun he’ll tell me, “this is just another race so give it your all.” I walk to the line and I’m ready to go. Ready to run fast. But he’s not the only one that’s there to cheer me on. My parents are there as well. Even though I can’t see them when I’m running through the crowds of people, I can still hear their voices on the course. When it’s all said and done, my races turn out better than I expect. Thanks to them, I can run a 17:48 5k on a cold rainy day. After time, my determination builds up, and I can almost do it by myself. I will be able to take on anything that comes towards me in life. I’ll be able to figure out problems and situations on my own without taking advice from family.

It’s not every day that somebody gets to hangout with such a great family. If, on some day I start to give them crap about something, it doesn’t take long until I felt sorry. The time they put into helping me on a daily basis shows how great they are. That is why I believe in my family and the support they put towards my goals. I wouldn’t be the kid I am right now if it wasn’t for their kindness. Thankfully, I don’t have to figure that out because I’m on a road toward a good life thanks to my family’s generosity and love.