Aileen - Hollywood, Florida

I recently moved from Venezuela, the country where. I grew up and the place I love the most. “I believe that moving around and leaving all behind is really hard, but you can learn and make the best of it”

Venezuela had become a horrible place to live in, and some people were smart enough to move out in time. My family realized that there was no future in Venezuela for us. My dad had grown in Colombia in the same insecure environment. He didn’t want us to have the same life that he grew up in. Its not fun at all going around with bulletproof cars and security guards. Its not fun to go out with your friends and be aware that anything bad could happen any second. And it isn’t nice hearing that a friend or a family member has been kidnapped. So then I realized that it was a good decision to move to Miami.

When I got here, I didn’t know how to speak or write English. Even though, I had been learning English since I was little, it’s not the same. It is really hard at school to learn, write, speak and understand things at the same time. I entered a Jewish school where half of the curriculum was in Hebrew. I only knew three people. It doesn’t sound like much, but they helped me a lot to adapt. It’s really hard entering a class and not knowing anyone, and it’s hard to ask someone for help or to borrow something, or who to trust. Later on I became friends with everyone in my class, I loved the school and the teachers, but my parents decided that I had to learn more and challenge myself. So I moved to another school the following year. The difference this time is that I didn’t know anyone, only a friend that I knew from Venezuela. The first day of school I felt like a 4th grader, I had to go in a small bus because I had no license, I got to school without knowing where to go. Now I just laugh when I remember these moments.

I know that is extremely hard to leave all your friends, school and life behind to move to another place or Country, but I learned that when it is for the best, sometime you need to change. From those changes I learned things, I learned how to be independent and how to explore things. Now I know and have the experience to adapt to different environments with different language, people and culture. I always made the best of it, and by doing that it made it much easier. I will never forget who I am and where I come from.