A Change in Worlds

Alexander - Aventura, Florida

Last summer, while we were at my home in Puerto Rico, my parents announced to my siblings and me that we were moving to Miami the next summer. We were all shocked. I would always have a good time in Miami when we went for vacation, but never did I think that one day I would actually be living there.

I felt horrible having to leave Puerto Rico. It simply didn’t feel right having to start all over again in a new school, with new friends, and a different side of the family. Although I told my parents that it would be fun, I knew deep inside that I did not want this.

Every new school year, I would greet the new kids. They would seem lost and alone and I would always say to myself how bad that must feel. Now I am the new kid in a school that has the same number of students per grade as my old school has in the entire high school. I remember the first day of school when I didn’t know where to go or who to be with. I felt lonely, lost, confused, and couldn’t stop thinking about my old school and the friends and family I had left behind. All day I wished to be back home in Puerto Rico. Past memories and events began working their way through my head and I felt so sad that I didn’t know how I would finish this day. I was trying to make myself believe that I was just in Miami for a little while and that soon enough I would be going back to Puerto Rico like I always had. It took about a month for me to fully realize that I was truly living in Miami.

I knew this was a tough decision for my parents and they did all they could possibly do to make us feel at home, so I made sure they thought exactly that. I told my parents that I had a great time in school and that I met a lot of friends, when truly I was alone. It made them happy and that made me happy. What I didn’t know at the time was that this school, University School, was great. I didn’t know that I would meet a lot of great people and that my teachers would be amazing and my grades would be much higher than they were in Puerto Rico.

I’ve been living in Miami for 2 months. It hasn’t been so hard of a move from Puerto Rico to Miami because not only do I have family in Miami, but San Juan is only two hours away. I can’t completely say that this is exactly what I wanted, but I can say that it is for the better and I will have to make the best of this move because now, I live in Miami for good. I believe in giving any situation all that you can and making the best of it.