Healthy and happy is right for me

Dana - Plantation/FL/, Florida

Every person in the world has a different body. When I was a toddler, you could literally count every bone in my body. As I grew older, I started growing up and sporadically started gaining weight.

My toughest years were elementary school. My classmates would call me names. For example they would call me “Danish” because my name was Dana or even “fatso.” I knew I couldn’t live the rest of my life like this.

A few summers ago I began working out. I then began to see a decrease in my body weight and this made me very happy. That same summer I went to a sleep away camp where I knew that I would be doing a lot of activities. Knowing this, I then decided to cut the amount of food that I was eating to a minimum. Every morning then my breakfast consisted of an apple, lunch there was none. And dinner would consist of some dry pieces of cut up lettuce.

When I got home I felt so good about myself. I had not only lost so much weight but I went down several clothing sizes. However, a few weeks after getting home I began to feel very sick and my body began to change again but this time for the worst. The girl who had been wishing to look like a super model was now wishing for her health to be ok.

My energy level was nonexistent and all I wanted to do was sleep. My parents were extremely worried and contacted doctors immediately. I was put on medication to help my body get back on track. I began seeing a nutritionist who helped me make a food plan that made sure I received all the protein and nutrients that I had been missing.

Looking back on this experience brings tears to my eyes wondering about all the pain I not only put myself through but my family too. Now in my second year of high school, I continue to work out and eat a healthy diet daily. I stress to all young teens out there struggling with a weight problem to get help before it is too late. I am thankful to be healthy again.

One of the best decisions I could ever have made was admitting to myself that I had a problem that needed to be addressed. Having the strength and encouragement from my family made getting back to my normal routine so much easier. I now don’t worry so much about how I look because to me the inside is all that matters. I believe that it is ok if I am not the skinniest person. Just being good hearted and healthy is whats right for me.