Christopher - Miramar, Florida
Themes: carpe diem, fear

I believe in enjoying life. In order to enjoy life one out of the many things you have to eliminate is fear. When people are afraid of a certain thing it can come to control their lives and affect the decisions that they make. One thing that I have feared in my life that affected my decisions was death. The fear of death can alter your mind set and I was totally convinced that it was something to be afraid of. As I got older I began to understand that in order to enjoy life you must not be afraid of death and that it is nothing to fear in the first place.

It is a normal human complex to have resilience towards death and I found mine when I was about six years old. When I was young I went through the experience of my grandfather’s death. What I did not understand was the concept of death; why shouldn’t I be scared when death is something that rips you away from your life. Although I was very sad over my grandfather’s death I now look back and realize that because of that experience I had developed a sort of apprehension towards death. I let the concept of it control my life, even in situations that had no relation to the subject.

Although I was only six at the time and children make the biggest deal over the smallest things I remember thinking that I shouldn’t do anything that could put me in any danger no matter how small. My life became run by what if possibilities that most-likely would never occur. The fact that I didn’t really think about is that everyone has to die at some point or another. My fear of death was short-lived, however, not because I understood why I shouldn’t fear death but because I was a child and children don’t let anything bother them for more than a day.

As I look back at this week long past experienced and my short lived encounter with death I realize how ridiculous it was for me to fear death. I realized for that week of my life there were fun moments that I could have experienced. My point is that many people have other phobias, even some with the fear of death, that they let control them.

The reason I have learned that death should not be feared is because death is imminent and finds us all at some point and time. In the play Julius Caesar, written by William Shakespeare, Caesar himself proves my point with this quote, “Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.” Basically what this quote explains is that we should not live our lives with a conservative outlook on death or anything else, but instead take risks and live life to the fullest.