The Sound of Tap Shoes

Justine - Davie, Florida

I believe that anyone’s hobby is a way of escaping all of the troubles in the world. Whether it is a sport such as tennis and football, or collecting objects such as rocks and model cars, we all have our own ways to put the stress behind us and concentrate on what we like to do.

My way of escaping the troubles of the world is through dance. Ever since I saw my first Broadway show, Chicago, I knew I loved dance. The sound of the tap shoes against the wooden floor was so sensational. It was like eating my favorite candy, chocolate gummy bears.

From that day eleven years ago, I have been taking dance lessons. From ballet, to lyrical, from tap to jazz, dancing is my hobby. Four classes a week for three hours a day is my hobby. Competing on stage and the adrenaline rush after winning an award is my hobby. Dance allows me to free myself from stress and drama, and a whole new world is set before my eyes.

Two years ago, I entered a dance competition, one of the hardest of them all. I had a tapping duet with my friend Gabby to the song “It Don’t Mean a Thing”. I was really nervous and even though I had been dancing for nine years, I did not want to go onto that stage. However, I faced my fears and I danced in front of the judges. When the song ended, everyone stood up and cheered. I was still nervous about how we had done, and with butterflies in my stomach, I anticipated the awards ceremony.

When the time came, we all stood on stage and waited for the duet awards. All the duets stood up, fifteen pairs for five awards. First, they called fifth place, and they didn’t call our names. Fourth and third place were called, and still they did not call our names. As they mentioned the second place winners, they screamed out our names. I felt as if this was all a dream.

From that point on, I knew nothing could bother me and I felt like the happiest person in the world. I was so grateful for having such a great hobby, and I believe that everyone should be able to experience an event like this of their own.

Dancing is a form of art which I believe anyone can enjoy. Whether I’m at a party dancing or at my dance studio at eight o’clock at night, nothing can bother me. Even though I have a test to study for or homework for the next day, I relax and I don’t become frustrated. How can I? I’m dancing!