Candace - Plantation, Florida

Recently, my family suffered a huge loss; our dog of eleven years was put to sleep. Taylor found us when she was just sixteen weeks old. She stumbled into our warehouse sick, bloody, and almost starving to death. We rushed her to the vet, and Doctor Monroe smiled and told us that if we had not saved her, she would have died within the next twenty-four hours. That was the day we saved her life.

It has always amazed me that in that single day we were able to have such a tremendous affect on her life as she knew it. They say that dogs only reach a mentality of a three-year-old. The three-year-old part of her always needed to be pet, and walked and fed, and played with. It made her depressed when we took vacations, and one time she even laid down right inside my dad’s suitcase.

Taylor was an 11-year-old dog, with a 3-year old heart. The day Taylor found us, our lives were forever changed. It was not a gradual love that emerged from caring for the dog, but a love that just came naturally with her immediate presence since the day we found her. It was the hardest thing in the world to have to put her to sleep.

Whether it is the passing of something that you loved, the start of something new, or even a birth, the single day that something like that occurs, it changes your life. Just in that single day.

I believe in the power of a single day. How in one period of twenty-fours, your life could be forever changed. The day Taylor came into our lives I learned the power of being able to save a life. I learned that immediate love is possible, and everlasting. Yesterday, I learned that things come and go too quickly. I learned that one day something is there and the next it is not. Today I will learn that mourning is unbelievably hard. I am learning that I must constantly convince myself that we did what was best for the dog. I continually tell myself over and over again that she is happier now than, when she was here. Now I realize the power of Today. Just a single day can have a lifelong affect on your life: This I believe.