Alex - Bartlett, Illinois

An old riddle tells of a man trying to cross a bridge with three boxes. Each box weighs five pounds and the bridge can only handle ten pounds more than his weight, how does he get across?

He juggles the boxes as to always keep one box in the air.

Sometimes life throws more things at people than they can handle and it is up to them to balance things so that they don’t collapse from the burden. Balancing is the main belief I hold in life when it comes to finding any answers.

Everyone is familiar with things that need to be balanced such as a diet or a person’s time. This is because life and its daily problems are constantly in need of being balanced. I always have the choice to make a decision that can either end up being good or being bad. There are usually two things to consider when trying to make a good decision instead of a bad one. One option is to make the decision that can lead someone to as much personal gain as possible. The other option is to go the complete opposite way and give, give, give. Now of course I can’t go around always on the side of gaining things for myself because that will end in loneliness and most likely failure. No one in history has been able to just go around and constantly be gaining things only for themselves. Also, it is not possible to just go around giving things away freely because that usually ends with giving away all the time and money I have followed by bankruptcy. The solution is to balance these two options and make one whole new one. Try and look for ways to gain in a situation but don’t forget about others as well. When people start to balance life this way it tends to benefit everyone.

This balance of being in the middle helps with any situation. From politics to economics to baking a meal, things always turn out best when everything and everyone is balanced. Like the man on the bridge, I can’t leave boxes behind because who knows what is in them, perhaps food to survive. I can’t carry them all at once because it all builds up to the point of breaking and life doesn’t let anyone have all the things they want. Balance your diet, balance your burdens, balance your viewpoints. This is what I believe.