I Believe I am the minority

Julia - Marietta, Georgia

I Believe in being my own person and ignoring the majority. I believe people like this are a rare find where I live, Unincorporated Eastern Cobb County. It can be one of the worst possible places to grow up in. Kids are born and bred into privileged life styles and prance around either believing in or constantly trying to prove their on superiority. The urban dictionary.com described an East cobber as “A person from eastern Cobb County in Georgia. East Cobb is known for bitchy middle class white people whose kid’s shop at Abercrombie every day, love UGA and like to get wasted on cold medicine.”

We all drive around in the newest car our parents bought us counting down the days until we crash it again, buying our way in and out of D.U.I.s and M.I.P.s. For a lot of us, the East Cobb is all we know, we’ve never lived anywhere else or experienced any other kind of person. Well I believe that lifestyles like this are not normal. The way we get drunk every weekend and high every morning isn’t just apart of high school, its messed up.

To the rest of the world we’re perfect. We’re Lassiter High School, home of the biggest Jumbo-tron in the southeast and proud title holder as the school with the most UGA graduates. They see us dripping in 4.0’s and but what they don’t see is us drowning in our own insecurities. East Cobb, brain washes you leading you to believe you have to lead a sinful dangerous life in order to be happy and normal. The average kid couldn’t function with out the approval of their cruel disloyal peers or otherwise known as, best friends.

In 1982 after my parents graduated from Florida State University they moved up to Atlanta together because my mom had gotten a job offer with the Trust company. On the way over my father called his friend Jim Stacie and asked if they could stay with him while they each looked for apartments. Mr. Stacie lived in; you guessed it, Cobb county. Over the years my parents eventually made their way over to the east side and into the infamous Windsor Oaks. My mom always jokes that it was because of the Stacies that we live here today, and I can’t say I don’t harbor a little bit of resentment toward them.

I believe there are two options given to you as an official East Cobber. You can A. succumb to the temptations and filth that is the E.C. and remain yet another stereo-type. Or option B. hate the world and all that’s in it, fight against East Cobb and curse all it stands for. After weighing the options neither sounded rather appealing. It would be easy for me to join the crowd or blame the Stacies for my current location of living. Instead I went for a third option. To live life not for what others make it out to be but for what It could be. For the rare truthful person, for the occasional pure relationship or the teacher who really wants you to succeed. That doesn’t see you as a testing statistic or a drunken idiot but as a real person with real potential. I believe if I want change the first place I need to start and maybe even the only place that I can control, is with in myself. So I’ve chosen to go against the grain and become the person I believe is good not the person others approve of. And although it is one of my dreams to graduate and fly out of here I believe that the remainder of my time here in East Cobb and at Lassiter, could be worth living and well spent, as a minority. Striving to bring about a bit of truth and reality, to the shallow hallways we walk through each and every day. I believe I am my own person. I believe in that person. And despite it all, I really do, believe in East Cobb.