I believe in the importance and challenge of choice.

Julius - Chevy Chase, Maryland

21,122 different essays are floating around this website. 21,122 different topics, different ideas, different possibilities, different thoughts and dreams, each creatively distinctive. How is anyone proposed with the assignment with no constrictions to write an essay supposed to pick one. I couldn’t. I don’t think that anyone in their teens will have an easy time picking a topic. At this age, people have so many diverse interests and activities going on, picking and sticking to a single subject is near impossible. Choice is crucial to how we live. Our entire identities are based on choice. So I began to contemplate topics. My first instinct was to pick a sports topic, sports being the major activity in my life. But then I thought which aspect of sports. Should it be about playing sports? Which sport? Or should I write one about being a fan of specific teams. Maybe just about the bonding experience of watching sports with friends and family. All these elements are possible with one topic. There are 70 topics listed on this site. To pick one comfortably is infeasible. Thus, a choice must be made.

Choice is a huge part of our lives; I know it is in mine. Everyday I am faced with a plethora of choices, from what’s for breakfast, to pen or pencil, to pajama pants or boxers to bed. When you think about it, choice is what makes our society so great, all the possibilities. We have over 500 stations on our televisions, 32 flavors of ice creams in our stores, 200 satellite radio channels, 5,000 songs on my I-Pod, the list goes on and on. Choice is something taken for granted in our society. Kids in third world countries don’t get to pick between soft tacos and a burrito at lunch. They’ll eat whatever they get and enjoy it too. I think we need to look at the hundreds of choices we make everyday from the most minute, to the most important, and reflect on them. Maybe think about what we can do to deserve the choices we have the luxury to enjoy.

The real challenge is how you deal with choice in life. There are different ways you can look at it. How we must prioritize our choices is crucial. There are choices that are important, and matters that are just matters of taste and fashion. What kind of a moral code we have defines the choices we make. Choice really defines which direction our life takes, which classes to take or colleges to apply to all define our entire life. Whether to pick to write an essay about sports or choice, or whether I should use “Time New Roman” or “Arial” as my font probably are not the most important choices I’ll be making in these next couple of years, however they do affect me this second. Clearly, choice defines who we are and what we stand for and is the most interesting and arguable topic this writer could think of.