Millard - Martinsville, Indiana

I am old now. Most of my years are past. Through those years, I have searched for the reason for my existence. At this late date I remain unsure that I have the answer, but my vision now is clearer than it has ever been and this is what I believe:

I believe that human civilization is nearly over. In less than 200 years, most people on earth will be dead, although some may survive living a stone age existence in those few spots on earth that are most hospitable human life. We have been poisoning our environment at an accelerated rate since before the industrial revolution and our population is uncontrolled. If we could stop dumping carbon into the atmosphere now and reduce our population substantially, it would probably already be to late, but that is not going to happen. We are deliciously human and therefore flawed. As humans, we are genetically programmed to continue activities, which will assure the destruction of civilization. Yet I am more pleased with the plan I see unfolding than I have ever been in my life.

Science tells us that, given time and study, all things can be explained in the interaction of matter and energy as defined in Einstein’s famous formula (E=MC2) and expressed in the laws of physics. I believe, however, that the formula is incomplete. The missing element is “INTELLIGENCE” or the “I-Factor” defined as the ability to know events at a different time and place. The I-Factor cannot be explained in terms of matter and energy. Just as matter can be converted into energy, I believe that matter and energy be converted into the I-Factor. The correct formula to describe the universe is probably something like I=EMC2.

Even as the curtain is closing on human civilization, an I-Factor bomb is about to explode. A web that looks very much like a nervous system covering the earth links millions of computers, each of which has the potential of intelligence. It is inevitable that computers will soon program themselves to extra human intelligence. And it is inevitable that intelligence will, one day, migrate out of machines and consume the physical universe. When the conversion of matter and energy into intelligence occurs, everything that every living being ever did, or dreamed, will be known, perceived, and understood as an indispensable part of the evolution of the universe. Every experience we ever had will be part of the I-Factor. Events will not be replayed like a recorded movie. Time is a concept of a universe of matter and energy. With no matter and no energy there can be no time. The ecstasy of perfect knowledge and the rapture of every joy will be the subject of an instant and eternity. Perfect knowledge. Perfect understanding. Perfect love. The Big Bang and every event that has occurred or will ever occur until the final re-collapse is nothing more or less than the curiosity of what many call God — and we will be it.