Janine - Cleveland, Ohio

“Hello, how are you?” My mom answered the phone happily. “Not good, it’s over. John wants to end the relationship.” I uttered those words in the phone between tears and sobs all the while not believing I was actually saying it or that it was happening to me. Here I was with two daughters, my dog and a failed relationship. With only $37.00 of my own money and no place to go, I felt as if my life had ended.

When I moved in with John 3 years prior I sold my home and gave away all of my furniture and most of my belongings to start a life with him. Everyone warned me, but I did not listen, I was in love.

I learned in that instant love is a two way street and you cannot make another person love you.

I believe that all endings lead to new beginnings. I started packing that Monday night. I had no idea where I was going to move the boxes, I only knew that I needed to. So I packed up my jeep with all my worldly belongings and headed out. I have some wonderful friends who opened their home to my children and I.. I was an emotional train wreck for quite sometime following. But as the summer gave way to fall and the leaves began to show their brilliance I was back on track full speed ahead.

One day I stopped crying. Maybe the tears dried up and I had none left. Or, maybe it was that I believed I had worth, ambition and faith. I was a strong woman and I could start over again. I woke up the next morning with ambition. I found a house to rent. That was the first step. I began moving the few things that we had in. And then my friends stepped in. Within a week my house turned into a home. They all banded together and provided me with everything from furniture to silverware. I thought when I was with John that I had everything and was then left with nothing. But the power of friendship came through. It was then that I realized that when I had nothing, I had everything.