Elizabeth - Elgin, Illinois

“There is a song for every occasion!” My 8th grade history teacher told us everyday. This may not seem to be a very powerful statement to most, but after contemplating it, I have realized how much music can enrich my life.

One of the greatest aspects of music is that it helps me get through the toughest of times. No matter how horrible my life seems to be at any given moment, there is always a song that I can relate to my problems, and also a few to show me how much worse life could be. During an overly stressful day, by just taking a few minuets to listen to my ipod, I can relax, get reenergized, and then be ready to continue with my life. When I have had a bad day, I can listen to songs like “Glitter and be Gay” from Leonard Bernstein’s Candide. This song tells of Cunagonda, a sex slave to two men, who manages to make the best of her life. It makes me realize that if Cunagonda can find the silver lining in her life, I can find the good in mine.

Music can also enhance the happiest times. From birthdays to Christmas to the birth of a beluga at the aquarium, there is always a song to help celebrate a special occasion, or just make a great day even better. My mother and I go to Disneyworld every year. The music from the parks not only helps me enjoy our trips even more, but I can listen to it later and reminisce about my good times.

Throughout my life, music has gone along with some of my best memories. Whether it’s the first band I saw in concert, the first musical I saw on stage, or my favorite song from preschool, music can make good times even more memorable. When I was in 7th grade, I was part of a theater group. For one of our skits we wrote new words to “My Boyfriend’s Back” by the Angels. Now every time I hear that song, I am reminded of how much fun we had in our group.

These are only some of the ways music has made my life more enjoyable. Music is my passion and my therapy. I have fully come to believe in the effect music can have on my life.