I believe in people.

Michelle - Duarte, California
Themes: humanism

People are messed up, screwed up, flawed, Romeos, Juliets, or whatever you want to describe our fallacies. Business men can charm others with tender smiles or witty compliments while refusing to tip the tired waitress standing by the table. Leaders of the world shake hands and say ‘how do you do’ while hovering a finger over a button that is labeled PUSH to release nuclear missiles. Governors build Alaskan bridges to nowhere. Doctors will conveniently opt to not do surgery on a patient that has more of a chance of dying. Overweight McDonald’s lovers sue the institution for obesity. Californians wear sheepskin boots. I believe people, because they are flawed, will always make mistakes and these mistakes will cost us all. We could argue that these mistakes are thoughtless, on-the-whim, or advertent. Take your time in arguing because I believe that people will still bicker and disagree with each other as the ship sinks into the Atlantic.

And yet, I also believe in the people who keep this world turning. I believe in the man who immediately jumps out of his seat to offer the vacancy to the old lady just entering the bus. I believe in the busy businesswoman who takes a few seconds to open the door for a delivery boy with hands full. I believe in the little girl who chatters to a homeless man, bringing tears to his eyes because someone finally remembered that he was human too. I believe in a surgeon who smiles throughout all his days but still goes home to weep a little over the lives lost in his operating room. I believe in the couple holding hands while walking down the street, wrapped up in a piece of their very own happily-ever-after. I believe in world role models taking a pen and signing peace treaties. I believe in people who build homes for the poor, reconstruct for victims of Katrina, and engineer water irrigation plants in India.

I believe in people because I believe people can always make things better. Sure there are murders and tragedies and horrible evils. But every time that man jumps out of his seat or that woman opens that door, the world already looks a little brighter.