John - Clinton Township, Michigan

A Perishing Country

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”

-Abraham Lincoln

As a member of a military family, I at least know the basics and the foundation of my country. The history, our goal, and even who our brave founding fathers were. I know what it took to create this haven of peace and liberty, but most people do not. I’m not saying I am the most knowledgeable patriot in the United States; I simply believe I know what most people should know about their own country. Patriotism is being forgotten, and the foundation of America is crumbling. We are forgetting who we were, who we are, and why we are here.

We are falling under a void of darkness and perversity. One element contributing to this is Hollywood. I look around me and all I see are magazines and television programs filled with what I believe is “Hollywood trash.” I still remember the day when Anna Nicole Smith died. I sat down on my couch, turned on the television, and switched the channel to Fox and Friends News. For hours all they talked about was how “devastating” Nicole’s death was. Just watching it made me sick to my stomach. Apparently the soldiers dieing over in Iraq are less important. There was a soldier that was killed that very same day, but his name was not even mentioned. What are most actors contributing to our country other than bad entertainment and mindless propaganda? Nothing. Many Americans choose to support this corruption by buying their trashy magazines and tuning into shows that are full of garbage. We have forgotten our past and what our duty is as a country. We are making fools of ourselves. We are wasting billions of dollars on this when we could be spending it on other more important areas. Like, I don’t know, health care, education, and possibly the war! Americans need to wake up and realize what is going on around them, before we get more lost into this infinite darkness.

“The only rock that stays steady,” comments Lee Lacocca, “the only institution I know that works, is the family.” I believe this is exactly true. That is why our nation is falling apart, that is why we can not unify our people, that is also why we can not control our government. It is because we have forgotten the purpose of a family. How will the people of America run a country if they can’t even run a single family? I was talking to my friends at my lunch table about my dad. One of kids sat there speechless. After talking for about 10 minutes, I looked up at my friend and asked, “So, what does your dad do?”. He still sat there quiet, but finally spoke up in a quiet whisper. “I don’t have a dad.” I just sat there, grief flooded over me. I do not get why so many families are torn apart. The divorce rate is off the charts. The idea that it is alright to have an un-unified family is depleting our next generation. We are losing support, and we are also losing our strength.

Why was America founded? That is a widely asked question in the United States. Some people think it is a hard question to answer because they think there were many reasons why we settled here. The only right answer to that question is religion. To be even more specific, God. Puritans, Quakers, and Anglican groups came over to North America because of religious persecution during the 1600’s in England. George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and even Alexander Hamilton all worshipped the all powerful God. I visited Mount Vernon 2 years ago and I took notice of all of the bible verses that George Washington requested to be written all around him after he died. God was not only a part of our country back then, He was the very foundation of our country. As years went by; however, God was not the center of society. Instead we chose to center ourselves on money and politics. Within the last few years there have been many people in our country who have actually refused to say “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance to our flag. If George Washington was still alive, he would be shaking his head at our country. What happened to us? How did God become less accepted in our society? I remember when I was in 6th grade, and I decided to pray with one of my friends and teach him about the gospel. My teacher came over during the middle of our prayer and told me I could not continue my practices openly in school. I thought one of the rights in the Declaration of Independence was “Freedom of Religion?” Our country was based on God, even most of our founding fathers worshipped God. It is becoming frightful to a lot of Christians. I will go as far to say that I believe America is not too far away from what many Christians in the third world countries are facing today in religious persecution. If we continue to walk on this unjust path, we will lose our country in the near future because God will be forgotten. We need to return.

President Lincoln is right, it will be our fault if our nation collapses. There is no one else to blame, but ourselves. Hollywood is corrupting our society, families are falling apart, and God is being forgotten. What more can we do to butcher our country? How long will it take for us to finally wake up, before it is too late? Are we going to lose grasp of this prized treasure that the founding fathers bled for and fought centuries for? It is not too late for us to stand as one nation and fight for what is right. There is still hope, America needs to throw out the garbage, unite as one, and once again become a nation under God.