Bob - Ca
Themes: humanism

I believe…

(for commentary on NPR, I Believe)

Before I begin my commentary I have a prelude.

Prelude.

While traveling abroad in Russia in 1990 at a dear friend’s home in the magical city of Kazan I had this dream. I was floating above the earth at night under a full moon in a brilliant crystal clear sky. Not a cloud could be seen. You could see for ever. The earth below was snow covered as I began to move or rather float. It was beautiful beyond words. On the horizon there were mountains blanketed in snow gleaming in the moonlight. I seemed to float under the moon and the landscape changed under me from fields to forest to streams or rivers sparkling, to occasional cites or towns, plums of chimney smoke rising and then I came out onto a body of water, a sea or ocean and as I came again over land the snow had given way to land and the forest to trees broad and full. Again over the water and an occasional island or group of islands, palm trees fluttering in a light breeze. Above this vista through the entire dream there was one thing that was more beautiful than anything else. I saw here and there some in groups some solitary, blue white lights on the earth. These jewels were the most beautiful gems of gleaming luster that I have ever seen. Finally I floated down to see them. What were these wonderful sparkling orbs? I found them to be the souls of mankind. They were the same in all the peoples of the entire planet.

Commentary.

I believe we are at the edge of absolute chaos where the ‘mad men’ of our time have taken us. One more step and we will be in it. Like a caprice of which snarling dogs wait to devour us. Somehow, some where like a miracle there will be an emergent society from this chaos that will be dramatically much more different than any change in our collective social evolution hence. It is to this society that I address this love letter.

My Dear Fellows, men and women alike,

I believe that I have a piece of you in my heart and it is this piece that I presently hold as a cherished treasure. It is a piece of good will toward my fellow beings. It is a respect and admiration of all our collective and manifold traits, talents and expressions. I realize that this is only common sense to you and a fact of your daily reality, but if you could allow me to try to give some plausible explanation as an understanding of what it was like, this human domain, before you and if you will also allow, that there really was some decency in human kind that existed before you as you review or study this period of time, this scourge of human misery.

Since you do not know greed I will not insult you with its stink. Since you do not know insult I will try not to be arrogant. Since you do not know argument I will not but offer for you consideration that in our adolescence there was insecurity that played out and was preyed on. Adolescence as a stage in our collective coming into being and the well being that you now abide in.

Insecurity was the hall mark of this unstable age where unwise greedy personages employed all the crafts of repression and division for the goal of their own pompous pleasures.

There was kindness and yes, good people but these were reduced to an inner state of being with the relentless pressure of a hostile atmosphere.

All of this played out as a last thrall of adolescence. Insult and injury as a last stand of a tantrum before an awakening, a final coming of age. Your age, your time.

I know you. I see you in occasional wonderful smiles. I believe in you and love you when I can find you in an occasional open heart.