Minh-Tam - Alexandria, Virginia

“Craving For High Heels”

When people say, “I cannot survive without high heels”, they really mean it. High heels not only define who I am, but are the reason why I am here today. I would not take the chance of walking out the door not wearing them. It might because of my minimal height that causes my high heels addiction. Although high heels have disadvantages such as their tendency to cause foot aches, I believe that their ability to boost self confidence shadows any problems associated with them.

High heels make a difference in each person’s appearance. They allow people to achieve taller heights, which create confidence within themselves. High heels come in a variety of styles and color, which makes it easier to match with a certain outfit. It could also improve people’s appearance by expressing their elegant or stylish side. The creator of high heels can be seen as a hero to most women who crave higher height, but cannot achieve that biologically.

Some people desire wearing a pair of high heels without knowing the problems attached with it. High heels have disadvantages such as causing uncomfortable feelings, foot aches, blisters, and damages to the feet, if worn over an extended period. It is recommended that heels should be worn only once in awhile and not everyday. However, I disagree with that proposal and continue to wear my high heels. I am able to ignore the disadvantages to wearing high heels by looking only at the beneficial qualities. First of all, most high heels themselves are beautiful; they make you look more beautiful wearing it. Secondly, they add elegance to your walk, making you even more beautiful. However, the most beneficial quality of high heels, to me, would be the boosted height.

Ever since preschool, I have always been the shortest people in class. Maybe “shortness” was a dominant trait passed down to me. I’ve always wished I could someday become tall, maybe after my teenage years. However, I stopped growing around the age of 16, at the height of 5’1. I remember how dependent I was on milk to change that fact. I hoped the calcium in milk would boost up my height. Unfortunately, milk didn’t help me. I later seek for high heels and began wearing them.

Believing in high heels allowed me to feel less disappointed about my height. Whenever I am in the hallway surrounded by people, I would feel so short and inferior. I would think that if someone just slightly bumps into me, they would totally knock me over. High heels let me know how it feels to be more than just 5’1. It enables me to blend in and actually be somebody; I would no longer be short, invisible girl. People would no longer accidentally bump into me or step on my toes. High heels give me a feeling of relief instead of leaving me self conscious of my height.

In conclusion, high heels are magical necessities in life that allow each person to appear taller than their normal height as well as providing additional benefits.