Cara - Lebanon, Pennsylvania

I believe that my parents are the only people in this world who really care about me. I have never been in the presence of someone who cares about me more or even the same. There have been people in my life that have told me how much they care about me or how much I mean to them however, no one has ever compared to my parents. From the day of my birth, this has been true.

One day in my tenth grade year, I had one of the worst emotional days of my life. I made it through my day at school without a smile on my face. However, no one seemed to notice. I expected my best friends to attack me with “What’s wrong?” which always made me feel a little better, but no one bothered. I was more than in need of someone to talk to; I just thought that maybe no one noticed. When I arrived home that day, I just laid around by the TV like I always did after school. At 5:30 my mom came home from work. She asked me how my day was and I replied with the usual “Good”. She sat right down next to me and asked me what was wrong. After she listened to me for about two whole hours, she gave me the most comforting hug. If I had wanted her to, she would have stayed there for me the whole night. When my dad came home, he also told me exactly what I wanted to hear to make me feel better. Just by being there they changed so much.

When I was fourteen, my doctor told me that I had a hole in my heart. I was so scared and I didn’t know what to think. My parents explained to me that I would have surgery but it was easy and I would be okay. When I told my friends, they didn’t realize that I was scared and didn’t comfort me at all. When I went to the hospital that summer for my procedure, my parents were there every minute. I went twice more for two more procedure and my parents stayed in the hospital with me for about 8 hours each time. I wouldn’t have wanted to see anyone else in the hospital room when I woke up.

When I realize how much my parents care about me, it makes me realize how lucky I have been my whole life. Every day they continue to amaze me in ways that no one else would ever be able to. I know that there will always be the people who tell me they are my best friends. I know they will tell me how much they care about me, but I will only believe them when they prove it to me like my parents have.